About Noodle Partners
Ten years ago, the Noodle Partners’ team helped invent online education. Ten years is an eternity in a tech-driven field, so now we’re re-reinventing how higher ed happens online. Measured against traditional Online Program Managers (OPMs), Noodle Partners brings programs online less expensively, with greater agility and in better alignment with universities’ goals.
Online education is no longer a novel or niche idea. It is the fastest growing segment in higher education, accounting for 20% of all enrollees and 30% of graduate-level certificates and degrees. It’s also getting increasingly competitive, as more and better programs are launched every semester. Universities need to go online quickly, economically and elegantly, creating programs that students can’t wait to tell their friends about and that their professors want to teach. Noodle Partners helps them reimagine what online learning can be.
- Competitive salary and 401K offering
- Mac or PC? You decide
- Our insurance offers medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability coverage, plus supplementals for all employees and dependents
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Paid vacation and sick days
- Subsidized gym membership at your gym of choice
- Yearly education stipend for lifelong learning
About this Position
We need a VP of Legal Affairs. If you live and breathe contract negotiation and management, you are a great fit.
The ideal candidate will provide counsel on closing new university partners for Noodle as well as the service providers that serve those relationships. You will take the lead in all contract negotiations with those partners and service providers. After you close new partners and service providers, you will also ensure that operational deliverables are completed in accordance with the agreements and in legal compliance. Finally, you will be seen as a valuable resource for functional leaders looking for advice on how to queue up legal issues to outside counsel.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Review all responses for requests for proposals and draft all agreements with university partners; draft all agreements with service & technology providers
- Provide oversight to ensure that all obligations with university partners and providers are being performed as contracted, such as GDPR, CCPA, FERPA, accessibility and university accreditation
- Identify improvements to our agreements as a result of relevant laws, regulations, and knowledge gained in negotiations and work cross-functionally to update and revise accordingly
- Manage workflows and output from our contract lifecycle management system to ensure proper tracking of the responsibilities described as well as reporting such progress to senior management
- Oversee budgets for outside counsel across departments to provide input on M&A, IP, litigation, legislation, employment law, trademarks, and intellectual property registrations and other specialized topics and manage relationships with those external resources
Qualifications and Skills
We are looking for a creative, meticulous, and self-motivated attorney who wants to take on complex negotiations and set up the infrastructure needed to scale our business ten-fold over the next 24 months.
- JD degree required
- 6+ years of experience working in a nationally-recognized law firm or in-house legal department, and significant experience structuring, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Experience working in or contracting with educational institutions or, even better, serving in a senior legal role at an organization that services educational institutions.
- Admitted to practice in New York or the ability to register as In-House Counsel in New York.
- Self-starter and can work autonomously: you find problems and fix them, painlessly, and thrive in a fast-paced, get it done, start-up environment. You’ll need to negotiate multiple agreements simultaneously on tight deadlines…think multiple spinning plates.
- Excellent written and oral communicator, and can effectively interact equally with internal and external folks. If you like agreements with oodles of legal mumbo jumbo, you’ll get frustrated here. We’re looking for someone who drafts clear and concise agreements, protective of Noodle Partners, and our universities.
- Strong business acumen and sound judgment. Your excellent analytical skills support creative and pragmatic problem-solving; you get agreements to signature with everyone pleased with the outcome.
- Passion for education policy and where it is headed. You enjoy reading a detailed analysis of new laws and regulations that may affect Noodle Partners and are willing to liaise with lobbyists when asked.
- Strong commitment to white-glove service – you are setting the tone of our relationships, and that tone is friendly and confident.
Noodle Partners is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment for all employees. Please apply to this position if you feel that you meet most or all qualifications! We look forward to speaking with you about joining the team.